Cover Story

Court Stops 'Peace Committee' From Mounting Roadblocks, Extorting Motorists In Donga

A Taraba state High court sitting in Wukari, has ordered that all roadblocks mounted by the Donga Peace Central Committee, be removed and i...

Angry Youths Protest Murder of Young Businessman in Lau

Angry youths set several houses ablaze in Angwan Loh in Donadda town of Lau local government council of Taraba State to protest the killing of a young businessman identified as Sanusi Yakubu.


The crisis newsmen gathered was caused by the gruesome killing of one Sanusi Yakubu, an indigene of the town who was alleged to have been hacked to death by unknown persons within the community.


It was gathered from a community source that the person killed was along the feeder road linking Kunini to Zinzang village in the same council at the early hours of yesterday while on his way for his business. Adding that the deceased might have been targeted by some brigands, who suspected him to be carrying a large sum of money.


Though the suspected killer was said to have been arrested in Mutum-Biyu, the administrative headquarters of Gassol council, the youths are still going about searching for alleged culprits who aided and abetted the killing of Yakubu.


Our sources from the community said, "so many houses in Angwan Loh had been burnt down after a report that the killer had been arrested around mutum biyu."


"He mentioned some names as being part of the gang that killed the guy." The angry mob from the town, according to him, "are presently going about pouncing on those people whose names were mentioned."


Though security personnel was said to have waded into the matter the youths appeared to have vowed to bring all indicted persons to book.


As at the time of filing this report, dawn to dust curfew has been declared in Donadda town of the council.


Some persons from the community who also confirmed the incident to our correspondent called on security operatives to endeavor to beam their searchlights on the area and the council at large to forestall damage.


A senior police officer who also confirmed the incident, said the police are on top of the situation, claiming that "normalcy would soon be restored in the area. "


No comments